Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Cosina cameras

  1. #1
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Following on from my post about the Canon cameras (for which the advert has now dissapeared),anyone know anything about Cosina cameras or if they are any good?

    Super 8mm suggested I get something a bit more advanced and I'm going to see a CM 8000 with a 8 X power zoom. I'd be grateful if anyone knows about Cosina cameras or indeed if they own any.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Correction, its a MS 8000 [img]redface.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I found this link http://www.city-net.com/~fodder/cosina/s8cam.html

    But then I checked another site called
    "the list" http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/list.htm

    Here is the info they list...

    Cosina

    MS-8000

    Year: 77-78

    Lens: 1,7 / 8 - 64 mm

    Macro focusing

    Microprism focusing

    Manual / Auto Zoom

    Manual / Auto Exposure

    Backlight Control

    Fades

    Remote control socket

    Made in Japan

    Original price in England (in the year of introduction): ?213

    --------------------------------------

    I have never seen a Cosina so I can't help you with anymore info on the camera. It does appear to have an 8-1 zoom lens, and it does appear to have manual exposure. I can't tell what filming speeds the camera has.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cheers for the info,

    Seems to fit the bill nicely, The guy selling it said its got two tripod mounting positions, one at the end of the pistol grip and the other at the back of the body. This was important to me along with a remote control, as I could operate it from a tripod easily. I have a chinon 256SXL with a pistol grip at the base of the grip, and it weighing in at a good 1.5KG makes not the most stable set up!

    Oh well, Going to see it tomorrow and if its got what I want and it works ok I guess i'll get it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jukkasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had both Cosina 7410 and 7610 and they looked very nice cameras (single frame, 9, 18, 24 and 54 fps f1,7/7-70mm lens, variable time lapse etc.), but I had problems to get their exposure meters work (you know these mercury/mallory-batteries etc.), so I sold them to one guy here in Finland.

    Anyway here is one example shot with Carena-camera (made by Cosina) with 16:9 modified film gate I transfer with my Workprinter to one of my client:

    http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/169test.mpg

    You can notice the image quality of this camera. Don't care about jittering, it's cause of these bad Kodak cartridges

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 09, 2003 01:31 AM: Message edited by: jukkasil ]</font>

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I a bit confused. Did the exposure meter not work because you could not get replacement batteries?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member jukkasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by Super-8mm:
    I a bit confused. Did the exposure meter not work because you could not get replacement batteries?</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I tried Wein's batteries and also my K-3 battery adapter etc. but they didn't work. And you cannot use the manual exposure without that exposure battery.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If Technicolour is curious as to what type of battery is operating his exposure meter, it might be of great value to the forum if he checks it out and tells us!

    Jukkasi, how old can a battery be and still run the exposure meter on a Cosina? What exactly is the battery type?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member jukkasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by Super-8mm:
    If Technicolour is curious as to what type of battery is operating his exposure meter, it might be of great value to the forum if he checks it out and tells us!

    Jukkasi, how old can a battery be and still run the exposure meter on a Cosina? What exactly is the battery type?
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    About that MS-8000-model, I think it hasn't separated battery for exposure meter (Cosina used these one in their 70-76 models), so that isn't problem with Technicolour's camera.

    I don't remember that battery code (I'll check it at home), but they normally are PX-... named batteries normally used in standard 8 (1960-95)and super 8 (1965-76) cameras. I also own one Minolta zoom 8 (2x8) camera need same kind of battery (don't work with Wein one either), but I still can use it with external exposure meter, cause manual exposure of camera doesn't need any battery at all (= I can change the aperture manually).

  10. #10
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can hear Technicolour breathe a sigh of relief.
    Does that mean that the Cosina Cameras that need the exposure battery that cannot be found are unuseable?

    Will the manual exposure work, or I think you said it wouldn't work either in manual or auto mode.

    Maybe someone will suggest a workaround.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •